Sunday, July 02, 2006

Heiva in Tahiti

We are currently at anchor near Maeva Beach, a few miles from Papeete. Papeete has changed a lot since I was here the last time. I had warned H�kan about all the boat packed in like sardines along the quay in Papeete, but when we arrived there was only a handful boat tied up along the Boulevard. Since they built the new marina Taina near the airport, most boats prefer to anchor outside or use their docks. I guess it is a lot safer and it only takes a short bus trip with Le Truck to get into Papeete. My cousin Oskar has arrived and is currently in the process of getting a tan and getting used to the boat. I feels really strange to walk into the giant grocery store Carrefour, which is within walking distance from us. Civilisation comes almost as a shock, and I don't really know if I like it. We are stocking up on food, water, and fuel while we are here, and I also bought a used 4 HP outboard this morning from an American boat. Now when it is three of us, it takes a lot of power on our electric trolling engine to move us around. The yearly Heiva festival started yesterday with a parade through Papeete, and during the next couple of weeks there will be a lot of traditional Polynesian dance acts and traditional sporting event taking place. We are planning to stay for a week or so around Tahiti and Moorea then move on to Huahine. We ate at the "roulettes" the other day, which are small caravans and trucks that comes and set up small outdoor eating places all around, but especially down at the waterfront in Papeete. It is a very cool concept and the food is actually really good. Today it is really hot, and just sitting writing this, creates big pearls of sweat on my back. The good thing is that as soon as I have closed down the computer, I can jump down into the clear lagoon water surrounding Maiken.

Take care,

Fredrik,

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 Comments:

Blogger John F. Hughes said...

Fred & Crew,

I am up in Seattle this week, and have just caught up with your blog. You guys should be writing a travel book on your adventures! You are doing a great job with the voyage and a great job with the blog, too. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
John

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are enjoying your trip to Tahiti. Tahiti is such a beautiful place, Maeva Beach was one of the places I hung when I was in Tahiti.

Did you try po'e?

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home